Waynesboro Heritage Museum | 420 W. Main St., Waynesboro, Virginia 22980 | Hours: Tuesday–Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. | Phone: (540) 943-3943

previous arrow
next arrow
Slider

Welcome!

The Waynesboro Heritage Museum portrays the history of Waynesboro through permanent and rotating exhibit galleries and the nTelos audio visual room. Permanent panels within each gallery reiterate the City’s history from the Beverley Grant under King George II of England in 1797, early Teasville (Teesville), and Waynesboro’s namesake, Brigadier General Anthony Wayne, Basic City, Railroad, Education, Industry, Memorable Waynesboro, Postcard Gallery, Fishburne Drug Store, and Banks of Waynesboro.

The portrayal begins with a Welcome to Waynesboro, the Heritage Gift Shop, panels of the history of the bank building itself and the Waynesboro Coat of Arms. A Waynesboro quilt (quilted by ladies of Waynesboro for our 1997 Bicentennial celebration) graces our entry greeting room depicting historical buildings and events. Rotating exhibits (both mini and large) enhance the permanent exhibits through additional loaned artifacts.

From the Blog

2019

Merger? Consolidation? Annexation? Confusion Waynesboro and Basic City

- Early on, there was cooperation and goodwill between the two towns with each supplying goods and services to the other.
basic city

Merger? Consolidation? Annexation? Confusion Waynesboro and Basic City

- In 1739, the land was plentiful, the forests virgin and full, the springs supplied clear water. The South River, while not suitable for shipping was great for damming and milling, the soil fertile for farming and the clay ideal for making bricks.
2019

Waynesboro’s Great Fire

- After the great Waynesboro fire, Mill Street, which ran behind the mill and separated it from the grain elevator, was eliminated.

© Waynesboro Heritage Museum | 420 W. Main St., Waynesboro, Virginia 22980
Phone: (540) 943-3943 | Email: info@waynesboroheritagefoundation.com | Site design by Augusta Free Press LLC